Hydrogen Peroxide In the Shrimp Tank – Game Changer

Background

I always wondered about using Hydrogen Peroxide in a Shrimp Tank so I set about doing some research, what I uncovered varied from people using H202 spot treating for Algae to people killing entire tanks of fish and shrimp. NOT GOOD

The fact that other people had tested this before and had bad results didn’t mean we would have the same results.

The word chemical In my opinion gets bad press when in fact we are surrounded by chemicals, chemicals make up the air we breath and the water we drink and in fact Life on earth wouldn’t exist without chemicals.

What we have to do that mother nature does to perfection is find the right balance of chemicals to do a job.

In our case its H202.

Testing

My first test was carried out on a tank that was infested with string algae, now this wasnt like all the other string algae I had in other tanks this stuff was slimey goo, this made it almost impossible to remove manually, so I had to come up with another solution.

How could I remove this stuff and it not effect the plants or shrimp?

H202 was the answer, In such a low dose it would in fact oxidize this very thin algae.

But we had another problem H202 will also kill bacteria!! for the amount of time it is active it will oxidize bio film and filter bacteria.

The solution was very very simple ..simply turn of the filters while the H202 is active.

For us this is a god send because H202 will really only oxidize the surface it contacts so as long as you turn off those filters the bacteria living in them will be safe.

The initial dosage I used was 1ml in a 50 liter tank, it wasnt until I reached 10ml per 50 liters that I started to see oxidation in the algae, this is pretty obvious because you start to see air bubbles trapped in the algae Itself.

I also knew that I would have to have a proper dosage ratio that was safe for people to use so I measure the water volume in the tank which came out at 45liters of water not 50.

What this meant is that we used 1ml per 4.5 Liters which is a ratio of 1ml per Gallon.

I eventually tested up to 2ml per UK Gallon In this tank when I started to notice the shrimp acting erratic, I tested this same dose in a tank the same size and also got the same reaction, so I think I hit the upper limit of what I considered safe for the shrimp.

Next step was to find a dose I could use whenever I liked so I decided to back of the amount by one quarter, which left me with the dosage of  1.5ml per UK Gallon or 1.5ml per 4.5 liters.

Now that the testing was done and I had no shrimp losses at all I assume this is very safe, Most algea in the tanks I used this in have gone and the plants that remain are thriving.

I also notice that this is safe to use with baby shrimp in the tank as I have young in all my tanks if anything there are more baby shrimp since I have started doing this compared to before testing.

Advertisements
Pages: 1 2 3

Categories: Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s